2007/03/06

Hiss! Boo!

The obligatory link: Ban on booing at local high school games considered

This is just ridiculous on the face of it. While I'm not quite sure if it can be said that booing has been going on since time immemorial, Wiki thinks it may date as far back as ancient Greece. In any event, booing is certainly a time-honored tradition.

I don't think it's going too far to say that this is another of those attempts to wrangle good feelings out of legality. I mean, seriously, they use the term "crack down on negative conduct" in here. When I hear that, you know what comes to mind? Murder, rape, theft, physical assault... that kind of stuff. There's a level of difference here between, "Hey Ref, get some glasses!" and "Hey Ref, I'm'a kill you and eat your children!" Taking issue with the second, given the current state of our culture, is understandable. Taking issue with the first, meanwhile, is just another example of the expanding pusillanimity of Americans.

No comments: